RUDU spent the beautiful weekend of Feb. 27-28 at American University in Washington, D.C., and continued to make all of us in New Brunswick proud by performing phenomenally! The teams were as follows:
- Sean Leonard ’16 and Geneva Kropper ’16
- Pasha Temkin ’18 and Max Albert ’19
- David Vinarov ’19, debating on a hybrid team
Leonard ’16 and Kropper ’16, both being crowned second and third best varsity speakers at the tournament, triumphed through all of their rounds and made it all the way to finals! In the final round, they dropped to Wang/Bowles from George Washington, which marks the second time in a row that the duo was crowned Second Varsity Team at a tournament! It is also the second time that they have debated together for Rutgers, and they are now ranked 9th Team of the Year!
Meanwhile, our two exceptional novices Temkin ’18/Albert ’19 absolutely dominated the novice competition and won novice finals in the end! As for speaking awards, their records were so good that a coin toss needed to be performed to decide which one would be Top Novice Speaker and which one would be Second Novice Speaker, with Albert ’19 lucking out and getting the top title! Because of this, he also won Tenth Varsity Speaker.
The cumulative awards were as follows:
- Second Varsity Team: Leonard ’16 and Kropper ’16
- Second Varsity Speaker: Leonard ’16
- Third Varsity Speaker: Kropper ’16
- Tenth Varsity Speaker: Albert ’19 (a novice!)
- Eleventh Varsity Speaker: Temkin ’18 (a novice!)
- Top Novice Team: Temkin ’18 and Albert ’19
- Top Novice Speaker: Albert ’19
- Second Novice Speaker: Temkin ’18
Next weekend, from March 4 – 5, the team will be at West Point! It will be a very interesting tournament.