Recapping September’s Events
September has been quite an exciting month for the Rutgers University Debate Union! We’ve welcomed many new members and been more involved with the Rutgers community than ever before. RUDU began the month by holding a series of demonstration debates for the Rutgers public. These two debates attracted dozens of students. Debating were Max Albert ’19, Pasha Temkin ’18, Naeem Hossain ’18, and Jeremy Kritz ’19.
On September 21, RUDU participated in a full-house debate sponsored by the Eagleton Institute of Politics. The topic was whether or not the electoral college should be abolished. On Government were Pasha Temkin ’18 and David Vinarov ’19, while Opposition was represented by Max Albert ’19 and Andrea Vacchiano ’19. When the crowd took to a vote, students decided that Government had won the debate. RUDU was published in The Daily Targum the next day!
The competitive results of September were as follows:
College of William and Mary:
- Eighth Varsity Team – Pasha Temkin ‘18 and Max Albert ‘19
- Fourth Varsity Speaker – Max Albert ‘19
- Tenth Varsity Team – Pasha Temkin ‘18 and Max Albert ‘19
- Sixth Novice Speaker – Andrea Vacchiano ‘19
Swarthmore College Novice:
- Mitchell Mullen ‘20 and Zakaria Nishtar ‘20 make a non-breaking 4-1 record
- Fourteenth Varsity Team – Pasha Temkin ‘18 and a Harvard hybrid
- Sixteenth Varsity Team – Vidhaath Sripathi ‘17 and David Vinarov ‘19
- Tenth Varsity Speaker – Pasha Temkin ‘18